IRIS 
Science 
Academy

Imagination Reasoning Inquiry-based Science

2017 Summer Science Camps

Spend the summer with IRIS!


Our Summer Science Camps are focused on the sciences, scientific arts, and outdoor fun.  Most of our camps run from 9 am to 3 pm (exception for D&D and overnight camps) with an option to add field trips, including Rock Climbing, Local Mountain Biking, and Swimming to extend the day to 5 pm.  Our camps include a science lesson and hands-on lab on most days, along with other fun cooking or art activities.  We have a field-trip or a 3-day/2-night camping trip each week.    


Parent Participation in Field and Camping Trips

Parents can join us on our field trips at no additional charge as long as they cover the cost of their discounted entrance ticket and their own transportation.  We also have a few spots for parents to join us on our camping trips at no additional charge, as long as they provide transportation for themselves and their child, help out around the camp, and pay for their own camping site (if needed).  To guarantee participation in IRIS trips, parents should inform us at least 2-weeks ahead of the field trip event and as soon as possible for the camping trips so we can reserve a tent site with the group. 


To register or ask questions,, contact Sue Carter at 831-331-1050 or [email protected] (preferred) 



June 19th to 22nd:  IRIS D&D Camp, with Great America and/or Henry Cowell Field Trips (students choice)

                                  Camp open to ages 9 to 15.  Camp Assistant positions available for High School Dungeon Masters

                                  Cost: $220/week (4-days)


July 10th to 15th:  IRIS Sierra and Wildfire Discovery Camp, 5-night Overnight in Sierra Gold Country, $380/week

                               Includes river float, cave rappel or zip lining, cave exploration, rock climbing, and hiking trip 

                               Camp open to ages 12 to 17 by application only (to apply, contact [email protected])

                               Cost: $380/week (6-days), includes all food, transportation, lodging, and activity costs

                               (May do both zip-line AND cave rappel for +$30)

                               Campers may earn a stipend by participating in Fire Recovery and Rebuilding Efforts


Aug 14th to 17th:   IRIS Makers Camp, with 2-night Overnight camping at Manresa State Beach

                              Camp open to ages 10 to 15.  Camp Assistant positions available for High School students

                              Cost: $290/week (4-days)


More Camps to be Announced.  



Prices and What is Included  

All prices include snacks at IRIS and materials & suppliest. Students should pack a lunch each day we are at IRIS, and bring a change of swimming suit, towel, and change of clothes on water days.   Our Full week with Field trip includes all the transportation and entrance costs related to the field trip.  Our Overnight Camping trips also include transportation, tickets to extra activities, all meals, tents, cooking supplies, and entrance costs related to the camping trip.  Students just need to bring their own sleeping bag and pad, change of clothes, toiletries, and flashlight for the camping trip (an additional suggested packing list will be provided).  


Extended Hours: Campers can extend their day at IRIS to 5 pm by signing up for one of our extra hours (EH) activities as a costs of $10 per day + supplemental fee for entrance and transport if applicable.  Reservations for EH Activities should be made before start of camp.  Supplemental fees are indicated after each activity.  


Discounts: We offer a 5% early enrollment discount (by March 31st), a 10% discount for signing up for 2 or more camps, a 5% discount for 2 siblings, and 20% discount for 3 siblings  (i.e. 2 siblings signing up early for 2 camps would each get 20% off our rates). 


We require a 20% down payment to reserve a spot, with remaining 80% due first day of camp.  Check payments should be made out to IRIS Science Academy, and mailed to 4401 Scotts Valley Drive, Scotts Valley, CA 95066.  If you prefer to make a downpayment by paypal, please email Sue Carter ([email protected]) and request a paypal invoice.  We offer a 100% credit of payment towards future camps or classes for cancellations made at least two weeks prior to start of camp.